Featured events


7-9 September 2012
Brussels Games
Brussels

Brussels Gay Sports will offer a weekend of fun and fairplay in the capital of Europe, with volleyball, swimming, badminton, and tennis, as well as fitness and hiking.

Learn more HERE.
26-28 October 2012
QueergamesBern
Bern, Switzerland

The success of the first edition of the QueergamesBern proved the need for an LGBT multisport event in Switzerland. This year will be even bigger, with badminton, bowling, running, walking, floorball.

Learn more HERE.
17-20 January 2013
Sin City Shootout
Las Vegas
The 7th Sin City Shootout will feature softball, ice hockey, tennis, wrestling, basketball, dodgeball, bodybuilding and basketball.

Learn more HERE.

13-16 June 2013
IGLFA Euro Cup
Dublin
After this year's edition in Budapest at the EuroGames, the IGLFA Euro Cup heads to Dublin for 2013, hosted by the Dublin Devils and the Dublin Phoenix Tigers.

Learn more HERE.

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

(Anonymous) gay French elite football player part of book on sex in football

Seen (in French) in Têtu, a story on a new book on sex in football, which includes the story of an anonymous gay player in the top French league. Here's an extract (our translation) from the report:

From the beginning of the interview (5 pages in the book), the mysterious footballer makes things clear: "I'm not here to come out." He continues: "I'm here to explain to you how we live in the world of football, when you are, like me, a bit different." during the interview -- for which the journalists were required to remove the batteries from their tape recorders -- he told the story of his daily torment, the law of silence that dominates in the world of football.

"In football", he explains, "you can't say you're gay. Homophobia is everywhere. Ten times a day I hear 'we're not faggots', every day since the age of twelve." Why not take advantage of the interview to come out of the closet? Coming out would do so much to fight prejudice and advance people's way of thinking. The response is prompt: 

"I know that if I come out, I'll be helping people", he explains. "But think about me. About my family. I'm not a hero." And: "As long as I'm playing at the highest level, I can't say who I truly am. It's just the way it is." The player also speaks of the preconceived ideas about gays on the pitch, the moments of depression that at times made him less effective in a match, the guy he lives with. He may speak out "one day", but for the moment, he prefers to live discreetly. 

Read the entire story HERE.

No comments: